Senior Associate, Science Strategy
Do you have a strong research profile in sustainability or health science? Are you excited about commercialization of world-class life science research? Would you like to support building new life science start-ups based on cutting edge science?
BioInnovation Institute (BII) – a non-profit life science foundation funded with up to 470M EUR from the Novo Nordisk Foundation – is looking for a new colleague who will be responsible for identifying outstanding research ideas with commercial potential and support project teams in translating these into start-ups. We incubate our start-ups and pre-commercial projects in a vibrant, collaborative workspace in central Copenhagen. In addition to funding and infrastructure we support the entrepreneurial teams with business development know-how and training, access to our extensive partner and investor networks to facilitate successful company creation and future fundraising. We have ambitious goals and want equally ambitious and enthusiastic team members to join BII and help us make a difference.
As Senior Associate in Science Strategy you will work with scientific and business development colleagues to facilitate translating research from lab to market through BII’s venture building program, Bio Studio. You will be involved in all aspects of the Bio Studio project sourcing process from initial idea generation and scouting to landscaping, due diligence and establishing scientific and commercial sound project plans. During project sourcing, you will be actively engaging with researchers, key opinion leaders and stakeholders from VC and the life science industry. You will also have a role in developing and maintaining BII’s cross-program scouting platform that is also supporting our open call processes.
In addition, you will be supporting the development and implementation of BII’s scientific strategy and supervising BII Science Strategy Fellows in conducting field-specific landscape analyses. You will be working closely with the BII Innovation department during Bio Studio project incubation to support portfolio reviews. You will have the opportunity to contribute to improving the overall BII platform offer by being part of various cross-organizational project teams.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop an efficient scouting platform and scout for top-level science with translational potential at Danish and international research institutions
- Work with Principal Investigators to facilitate conceptualizing research ideas and gauging the commercial potential
- Manage the selection and approval processes of Bio Studio projects
- Identify subject matter experts and manage external peer-review of grant proposals
- Perform due diligence on project proposals with diverse external parties and synthesize information to provide informed funding recommendations for projects approval
- Prepare and deliver BII Board of Directors material when new projects are recommended for funding
- Support the Innovation department in Bio Studio portfolio reviews
- Assist the Director of Science Strategy in developing and implementing a scientific strategy
- Participate in organizing and hosting scientific events at BII
- Independently run internal projects improving the BII platform and enabling BII growth
We are looking for a candidate with a strong scientific background within bioscience and a strong interest for commercializing life science research.
We expect you to hold a PhD degree in biomedicine, biotechnology, pharmaceutical sciences, bioengineering, agricultural science, food science or similar field. Furthermore, you have minimum 5 years of experience from facilitating life science innovation from working in the funding or innovation ecosystem, i.e., experience from a foundation, start-up, accelerator/incubator or corporate scouting/innovation. Preferably, you have direct experience with commercialization of life science research.
We also imagine that you have:
- Comprehensive understanding of the academic life science ecosystem.
- Excellent ability to understand, analyse and communicate research results, research projects, and research evaluations.
- Knowledge about research intelligence database and strong ability to scout for new scientific trends.
- Ability to conduct detailed due diligence reviews of scientific research proposals.
- Ability to collaborate with leading researchers to develop their research ideas to maximize potential human or societal impact
- Experience in establishing professional networks within the public and private sector.
As a colleague, you are ambitious, proactive and have a structured approach to planning and problem-solving. You are confident and able to manage several complex projects simultaneously. Furthermore, you are keen to work as part of a team, though you can also work independently and make decisions and proactively solve challenges. Importantly, maintaining a high level of professionality and integrity is key to you and you aim to deliver results of the highest quality in a timely manner and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Through this role, you will be interacting and communicating with a wide variety of stakeholders and therefore, your communication skills are excellent both in writing and verbally – especially in English. You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build good relationships both internally and externally. We are also looking for a team member who is self-aware and thrives for continuously improving. Finally, you are passionate about life science and developing the entrepreneurial environment in Denmark.
Working at BII
We offer a committed and professional workplace in which we emphasize ensuring that our colleagues thrive, are challenged and have opportunities to develop their potential. A career at BII gives you the opportunity to work:
- on building the largest innovation and incubation initiative within the Life Sciences in Denmark;
- with key actors within research and development; and
- as part of a dedicated team that is passionate about creating value for society.
BioInnovation Institute provides you with an opportunity to become part of a vibrant and professional workplace with a chance to bring ideas to life and science to market for the benefit for society and human welfare.
Application and Information
For more information, please contact Louise Clemmensen, Director of Science Strategy on e-mail: LCL@bii.dk or phone: +4593565574. We encourage you to send your application as soon as possible and no later than 10/02/2023.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and university transcripts by clicking on the “Apply now” button.
About the BioInnovation Institute Foundation
The BioInnovation Institute foundation (BII) is an international commercial foundation with a nonprofit objective supported by the Novo Nordisk Foundation. BII operates an incubator to accelerate world-class life science innovation that drives the development of new solutions by early life science start-ups for the benefit of people and society.
BII, located in Copenhagen, Denmark, offers start-ups and early-stage projects within health tech, therapeutics and bioindustrials state-of-the-art labs, vibrant office facilities, business development, start-up business incubation, access to high-level mentoring and international networks, plus unique funding opportunities of up to 1.3 million euro per start-up and 2.4 million euro per project.
Since the inauguration of BII in November 2018, BII has awarded 35 million euros to 68 high-growth start-up companies. Read more on www.bioinnovationinstitute.com